It’s snowing like mad outside, but we’ve got a big pot of this going inside, so we’re happy. We’ll be even happier later on when we dive into it.
Turkey chili is the ultimate easy, healthy, comforting make-ahead meal. You can whip a pot of this up in less than an hour, freeze portions for during the week and know you’re covered. Even better, not only is this version super low-fat and high in protein, it’s off the chart with flavor. Tweak the amount of jalapenos and chili powder to your liking and feel free to throw in any additional vegetables you like — we’ll sometimes add zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower. So good and so easy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 30-40 minutes | Servings: 8
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 lbs ground turkey
1 large white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeño, minced (use less if you don’t like heat)
1 red pepper, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups kale, chopped
1 package frozen corn
1 can black beans
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
24 oz chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder (omit if you don’t like heat)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large heavy pot, heat oil and cook turkey until lightly browned, breaking up turkey into bite-sized pieces.
2. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, red pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powders and basil. Cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
3. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, bay leaves, corn, beans, sweet potato and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until kale is wilted.
5. Serve with cauliflower rice and low fat sour cream (or plain yogurt). Enjoy!